Who The Magdalene Home Serves
Young pregnant girls who are 10 years of age and older. Residents must agree to cooperate with the goals and objectives of the program, and meet the admission criteria.
To assist the resident in coming to a workable, livable plan for her life and the life of her unborn child. It is the primary objective of the maternity home program to equip her to discern her own needs physically, emotionally and spiritually. Secondarily the maternity home endeavors to assist her in developing a plan of action that she and her baby can successfully live with, as a productive and functioning part of society
Admissions Policy and Criteria
- Step One: Application made via website.
- Step Two: Pre-admission interview over phone by Executive Director or Assistant Director
- Step Three: Pre-admission interview by personal visit.
- Step Four: Approval of the applicant’s verbal interview, application and initial assessment by the Executive Director and/or the Assistant Director in consultation with the program team.
- Applicant must submit documentation of a positive professional pregnancy test
- Applicants must have no other children in her immediate care.
- If the applicant has not graduated from high school it is expected that:
- She will begin working towards her High School Diploma or
- She must actively work toward obtaining her GED;
- Be desirous of turning this “crisis” into opportunity for growth.
- Be desirous of The Magdalene Home program, including counseling, devotions, The Magdalene Home classes and homework;
- Display friendly attitude conducive to The Magdalene Home program and family living;
- Be open to listening and considering objectively, both parenting and adoption as options;
- Be in need of housing, whether a physical or emotional need;
- Be open to Christian aspects of The Magdalene Home program including Bible study and weekly church attendance;
- Have the ability to perform daily chores, cooking and other duties of the household;
- Have the ability to get along with peers in close living conditions;
- Be without chemical dependency, emotional, physical or mental disability which would necessitate a program with more structure and/or staffing;
- If a smoker, understand a no smoking policy in the home and the danger of smoking to her unborn baby
- No minor is allowed to smoke or have any tobacco products.
- The Magdalene Home reserves the right to do a pre-admission drug test, as well as random drug test throughout the residents stay in The Magdalene Home.
- If there is reason to believe that the applicant is a danger to herself or others, or she is a cutter, or has anorexia, or has psychological concerns she will be required to have a professional evaluation prior to acceptance in the home. In consultation with the professional, a determination will be made as to the appropriateness of the maternity home’s ability to meet her special needs. If she is an immediate threat to herself or others or has issues that require intensive professional intervention she will not be admitted to the maternity home program.